Increased participation in the workforce for people with disability and their families and carers produces benefits for the individuals participating, as well as for the wider Australian economy. The analysis presented here investigates the employment experience of NDIS participants and their families and carers, including factors associated with positive employment outcomes.
The latest report investigates participant employment outcomes as at 31 December 2020, including both baseline (at Scheme entry) and longitudinal (change over time) results.
A previous report covered employment outcomes for both participants and their families and carers, as at 30 June 2018.
Employment outcomes for NDIS participants as at 31 December 2020
The analysis looks at:
- Baseline employment experience of participants entering the Scheme from 1 July 2016 to 31 December 2020, including employment status, types of employment, hours worked, industry of employment, and support received to find or keep a job. The employment experience of participants is compared to that of the Australian population, and the impact of the global COVID-19 pandemic is considered.
- NDIS participants and the Disability Support Pension (DSP): summarises the percentage of NDIS participants receiving DSP, based on Centrelink data, by key characteristics.
- Employment goals in participant plans: analyses the prevalence of work goals in participant plans by key characteristics.
- Longitudinal change in employment outcomes for people who entered the Scheme from 1 July 2016 to 31 December 2019, and have been in the Scheme for at least one year, including comparisons with longitudinal population benchmarks.
- Key drivers of employment success: discusses the results of longitudinal transition modelling and implications for how the NDIS might help improve the employment outcomes of different participant cohorts.
- Participant perceptions of whether the NDIS has helped them find a job.
- School leaver employment supports: examines the effect of school leaver employment supports on employment outcomes for young participants.
- Employment outcomes for NDIS participants as at 31 December 2020 – full report (PDF 1.9MB)
- Employment outcomes for NDIS participants as at 31 December 2020 – summary report (PDF 1 MB)
Employment outcomes for families and carers of NDIS participants as at 31 December 2020
Sections to the report:
- Baseline experience
- Families/carers in a paid job
- Hours worked per week
- Type of employment
- Working as much as wanted
- Industry of employment
- Centrelink Carer benefits
- Trends in employment experience
- Longitudinal results summary
- Employment status transitions
- Drivers of employment success
- Employment outcomes for families and carers of NDIS participants as at 31 December 2020 – full report (PDF 2.3MB)
- Employment outcomes for families and carers of NDIS participants as at 31 December 2020 – summary report (PDF 1.2MB)
- Employment outcomes 30 June 2018 (PDF 2MB)
- Employment outcomes 30 June 2018 - transcript (DOCX 80KB)
Note: the information on these pages is subject to a Data disclaimer.